Monday, January 4, 2010

It Never Ends...

Finally got all of my grades for the past semester. Good news in all classes but one.


Of course the one class with the least credit to gain and the most crap to give would keep giving it even after it is over. I had questions about how I would be graded before the class was over. The teacher had a score sheet posted showing each week's newspaper issue and you'd get a check mark for every issue you contributed to. The oversight in that class is horrible so the score sheet of course did not show everyone's true contributions. I did something every week for the paper and only had 2 check marks. I asked him before the semester was over if he was going to be using that for grading. He said he was going to use it in considering grades so I told him it wasn't accurate. He told me not to worry about it. I assumed that he meant he knew how much I had done and I had nothing to worry about as far as grades go. Well, Christmas Eve I logged on to check my grades and I got a lovely surprise. He gave me a C. I felt very much like muttering a long sentence of expletives like Clark Griswold. I'm not sure how he came up with it. I have a stack of newspapers with my stuff circled that I can drop on his desk, so I doubt he flipped through each issue trying to decide my grade. He didn't speak to the editors that I worked with because they surely would have vouched for me, and I've spoken to them and they back me. So it appears that what's standing between me and my first 4.0 is a 1 unit newspaper class and a teacher with a mystery grading system. I know a 3.8 is nothing to gripe about, but I worked really hard this semester and I feel really gypped. I'm going to try to get it changed, but attempting to go through that maze of teachers and administrators who all say they hear this all the time and are powerless to do anything is going to be a nightmare.

1 comment:

The Whetstone Family said...

Yay, I can comment! Good luck with the grades. Sounds like a pretty lazy teacher!