Wednesday, April 21, 2010

One Beast is Slain




So last year about this time I was preparing to participate in a graduation ceremony at Ohlone College where I would be awarded an AA in Graphic Arts. Well, I did participate, but a month later I received a letter informing me that I have to take a class with the school newspaper to get the degree. So I signed up for the class and I was told I would get my degree upon completion. Not a huge deal because I had already planned on being there an extra year to work on my transfer to Sacramento. So I took that class and cleaned up the whole mess with the mistaken grade. Its been a few months since I finished, and still no word. So I went to see my counselor. She said that the lady in charge of approving my degree had been let go due to budget cuts. So now its just one guy that approves degrees and it turns out the other lady never did resubmit my application. The guy felt bad, and he told me he wasn't supposed to do this, but he went ahead and approved the degree for me right there on the spot. He updated my official transcript and printed me out a copy. I was so happy! And if that wasn't enough, it turns out that getting an A in the newspaper was just enough to nudge my GPA into the Honors bracket, so now my transcript has this written in it:


Now I just need to get my AA in communication this May and then I will hopefully leave Ohlone forever.